Income and expenditure
Despite lower income than planned, War Child increased its income compared to 2009 by 3.6%, which made growth of 9% in project activities possible.
Explanation of income
In 2010, income increased by 3.6% to € 14.8, which is 16,3% below planned, but still an increase in comparison to 2009.
• Own fundraising: This revenue was 14.8% below planned. In the first half of the year War Child adjusted its fundraising targets because of a downward trend in gifts from companies, incidental gifts from private donors and income from legacies;
• Third parties: The share in activities in third parties shows a too ambitious plan for 2010. Furthermore, contracts were signed at the end of the year, income is expected in the
• Other income and expenses: revenues from interest and currency fluctuations.
Explanation of expenditure
Expenditures on behalf of the objective
In 2010, War Child’s total expenditure amounted € 15.4 million, an increase of 8%. It remained 13.7% below planned as a result of the decrease of income.
• Project activities rose by 9% compared to 2009. A growth of 31% was planned but could not be achieved due to decreased income;
• The category Preparation & coordination on behalf of the project activities decreased by 12.5%. In 2009 War Child did extensive preparations for the Conn@ct.Now program, which was rolled out in 2010. At the start of 2010 the expenditures were budgeted higher, but had to be adapted because of lower income;
• The increase of communication and awareness raising costs is due to the fact that War Child invested more in fundraising in the streets. Because the impact of this contact is larger and it is more focused on the content of War Child’s work than by phone, War Child has allocated more costs to this category.
The Central Bureau for Fundraising stipulates that a recognised charity may devote a maximum of 25% of income to fundraising activities. War Child is well below this limit at 14.3%, which is the result of War Child stringent low cost policy. War Child was able to raise its targeted new structural donors, the biggest expenditure in this category, against the same cost percentage as last year despite the economic situation.
Management & administration
The percentage costs Management & administration is 7.3%. This is a result of less expenditures on behalf of the objective. As these expenditures declined, the ratio grew by 0.5% compared to 2009.